Tuesday, November 5, 2013

We Won!

As many of you know, last week (the last week in October) was dedicated to Red Ribbon Week where we raised awareness about the detrimental effects of drugs and pledged to live a drug-free life.  At our school, we were each challenged to decorate our doors in support of pledging to live a drug-free life.  Well, I searched hi and low for ideas.  TpT had some fabulous ideas - such as The Savvy School Counselor's Red Ribbon Awareness Week Pack and Primary Graffiti's "iTune Out Drugs".  I used the Savy School Counselor's slides to teach about the effects of drugs on the body and the students completed the foldable.  The following day, the students made their iPods from Primary Graffiti's packet.

Then, I found out ANOTHER 3rd grade class had done the iPod idea.  boo!  Back to the drawing board.  

Halloween, October 31st, my co-teacher sent me a picture of a FABULOUS door idea from pinterest!  The past two weeks I had been going around school  my classroom quoting, "veedo! veedo! veedo!" ... from Despicable Me 2.  My students thought I was the coolest teacher on the block. ;)

Needlesstosay, my co-teacher sent me the picture, and I was bummed because I felt like it was too late and I had *no* idea how I could get the door done and an activity to do that would coincide with the door!

We prevailed, though! She encouraged me to do it, and I did.  Next thing I knew, our door was despicably cool. ;)  And we found out today that we won the door contest for the 3rd-4th grades.

If you know where this came from on pinterest, please let me know! They deserve the credit!

The door and minions before I added the foldable.  We deserve extra credit for explaining why drugs are despicable. ;)

The minion craft came from Pamela Zweygardt.  It was so cute when the students finally realized what they were making !!! :)

The foldable was what I did with the students on Monday.  It was an activity from the Savvy School Counselor's packet. :)  I tried to put it so the minions were either looking at the foldable, depending on their eyes, or they were holding it in their "hands".

Another example. :)

" A 'minion' reasons drugs are despicable! "

It's amazing how many ideas you can get from the resources all afforded by technology. :)  I couldn't be more grateful for all of the pinterest ideas and TpT packages that teachers make that make novice teacher's lives a little less stressful. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment