Friday, January 2, 2015

Currently: 2015!

Wow! I can't believe it's 2015! I feel like time (and a little bit of life) is flying by.  Ringing in the New Year means that this *school year* is almost half way through; it's like overcoming the school-year-hill once going back to school following winter break (even though the Spring is a longer school time period).  Still!  It's a great time to reflect on what is working in the classroom and what isn't.  It's given me the opportunity to look back at how much I feel has been accomplished in this school year.  I'm not stressing and panicking like last year. -_-

So that leaves time to link up with Farley over at Oh Boy Fourth Grade and  fill you in on my Currently January!


Listening
Well, that's pretty self-explanatory.  Outside of the washer and dryer, I *love, love, love* the Golden Girls!  I started watching them when I was in like elementary school! Almost 15 years ago!  I remember when they were played on Lifetime.  ha ha!  So I asked for the Golden Girls complete set on DVD for my birthday this past summer I play it 24/7! 

Loving
Winter break was much needed and soooo relaxing.  I took a few days to lifeguard and make some extra money.  That's always a good thing because it keeps me busy during the break, not lounging around on the couch all day.  It's better that I actually can get some work done during my work breaks.  
But I'm also loving how many ideas are starting to come to me about resources to use with my students and upload to TpT to *hopefully* help other teachers and the students in their classrooms.  It's just frightening actually opening up a store!  Following all the rules and policies and not wanting to accidentally copyright or plagiarize.  AHHHHH! But I'm seeing quite a few posts on Instagram, #becauseoftpt, and I would love to have that same blessing!  I realize I have a few big life expenses coming in the very near future (a wedding, house, honeymoon, etc..) and it would be helpful to have that "extra" income. 

Thinking
I've been working on putting some things together for my students to use, but it's a little overwhelming how to put the whole thing together knowing I can upload it to TpT!

Wanting
If I can be honest, I am not looking forward to the how I have to teach the what I have to teach.  My district has purchased a particular unit that we are required us to teach for Nonfiction.  (Sidenote: we are teaching Nonfiction but our students are taking their Unit Assessment on Fables.)  Back to my thoughts, I have had such a great routine going with Reader's Workshop that the required unit is quite different from the Lucy Calkins' way of how I run Reader's Workshop! :(  
Needless to say, I have procrastinated preparing for January/Februrary. #notlookingforwardtoit

Needing
Ahh, yes - the infamous "workout" aka "exercise" aka "fitness"...
During the winter break, I started to get back to the gym!  I wanted to give back to my body and feel the way that I used to feel when I was a fitness instructor at my gym.  Outside of how physically uncomfortable it is to be at the gym (you know - endurance, stamina, that stuff), the biggest workout that you get is to your mental thoughts/the little voices that go back in forth in your head of "No, I can't!" to "Yes, I can!" I was doing pretty well for the first week being out of school, now I just need to keep with it.  Every day is a new day to eat better and make time to give back to my body, just staying fit and preventing health issues in the future.

Yes, Maybe a Wish
I started to apply for this prestigious award/reflective classroom practice summer program last year, but I did not feel it was the right time as I was unsure how to answer some of the questions.  They asked about data and how do I improve data from year to year.  Well, I hadn't taught for a full year so I had no "baseline" to use.  Realizing I am a legitimate year into my teaching career, I figured "Why not this year?"  There doesn't seem to be an overwhelming amount of elementary teachers that go for this award, so maybe that will go in my favor.  But it would just be an amazing accomplishment and a humbling experience to even be considered as a finalist for this award.

All prayer are appreciated. ;)

p.s.. Also *Wanting* my classroom Donors Choose project to be fully funded!

Go link up with Farley and all other teacher bloggers at Oh Boy Fourth Grade!

3 comments:

Christina C. said...

Happy to hear you had a relaxing and inspiring winter break! I am sending prayers re: your application! Best wishes for an exciting 2015!

Elizabeth said...

Sending happy thoughts your way, hope it all works out your way!!!!


I have been procrastinating planning too, I am not looking forward to our next unit either. I have to do it TODAY though!!!!!

Enjoyed your currently!
Elizabeth
Hodges Herald

k said...

Came across your blog from the currently link up! Very cute :) Good luck with everything!

Katie
http://thepawsitivepencil.blogspot.com

Post a Comment